Y'all. I'm BRIZOKE! That's "Broke" for those of you who don't understand my pitiful attempt at being hip. The stress has really gotten me down and I spent the day trying to make myself feel better with food. There wasn't much here to float my boat but tonight we went over to my sister's house and had pizza. All in all, it could have been worse. Like I said, there wasn't a bunch of junk in the house so my stress monkey went hunrgy for most of the day. The only thing I munched on was a few chips with homemade salsa. I couldn't decide whether to be more depressed that I had no money or no junk food in which to drown my sorrows.
The economic times are hard right now and, even though we make a good living, the rising costs of fuel and food are hitting us pretty hard right now. Something happened at dinner though that made me realize that even as stressed as I am, there are people who are having an even harder time than we are. When my sister and I went to pick up the pizza, there was a young girl in the parking lot trying to sell candy. Her family was sitting in the car as she wandered from person to person, doing her very best to make some money. My sis and I felt terrible because we didn't have one iota of cash on us. We just never carry it anymore. When we told her we didn't have any money, she looked at our pizza boxes with obvious envy. It was quite a moment. One of those, "Ok, Evie, it's time to get over yourself" moments. Here I am, money is tight but at least I can afford to eat without resorting to taking my children to a shopping center to sell candy bars. Something has got to change and soon. If people like me are struggling, I can't begin to imagine what it's like for that little girl's family.
I'm sorry for going off on that tangent but that occurrence really affected me.
My goal for wednesday is to be more positive, to eat mindfully, and healthfully, and get up and move. Please come back and see how I did!
2 comments:
I know just how you feel. We are seriously struggling with gas prices and food. I am having to give food a lot of thought. No quick eats around here right now. I can get quite stressful.
I have started keeping a gratefulness journal again. To help me keep some perspective. There are so many who have it a lot worse that we do. I'm so worried about this winter for those folks.
Gosh, Carri, I hadn't even thought about how hard things will be in the winter time. It is certainly going to be rough for so many people.
A gratefulness journal is a fantastic idea. What a wonderful way to keep your eye on the good things!
Post a Comment