Being who I am, I couldn't make the recipe as printed. Nope, had to switch things up a tad. Instead of cherry pie, I made peach which required additional spices and some adjustments to the recipe. Without further adieu, here is the recipe for Evie's Rustic Peach Pie as adapted from the Cooking Light July 2008 edition's recipe for Fresh Cherry Pie.
2 TBS uncooked quick-cooking tapioca
5-6 large fresh peaches, peeled and sliced
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 TBS fresh lemon juice
zest of 1 lemon (all of it!)
1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 TBS maple syrup (the real thing)
1/8 tsp salt
1 (15 ounce) package refrigerated pie dough (i used pillsbury)
Cooking spray
2 TBS water
1 large egg white
2 TBS turbinado sugar

Place tapioca in a spice or coffee grinder; process until finely ground (i used mortar and pestle). Combine tapioca and next 8 ingredients (through salt) in a large bowl; toss well. Let stand for 30 minutes and then stir to combine.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Roll one of the packaged pie crusts into an 11-inch circle. Place in the bottom of a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray. (i forgot the spray, don't do that) Allow the dough to extend over the edge of the plate. Pour the peach mixture into the dough and be sure to scrape all the spicy goodness in there. You don't want to miss a thing. Roll the remaining dough into a 12-inch circle and then cut 12 1-inch strips. (i did 1/2 inch strips because I read wrong) arrange in a lattice pattern over the peach mixture. Fold edges under and crimp. (i SO can't do this well)

Combine 2 TBS water and egg white in a small bowl. Brush the egg white mixture over dough on top of pie and sprinkle dough evenly with turbinado sugar. Bake at 400 degress for 20 minutes. Then take from the oven and shield pie crust edges with foil. Put back in oven and bake for an additional 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Cool pie in pan for 45 minutes on a wire rack. Makes 12 servings.

Y'all. This pie is SO good. I might have to eat a slice for breakfast. It's only 282 calories so I can do that.
Our evening meal was courtesy of another cooking light recipe, this time from their website. Farfalle Carbonara. Again, I made a couple of tiny adjustments because that's just how I roll, yo, but for the most part the recipe remained unchanged. You can find the recipe HERE. The only changes I made were to add 1 cup of frozen baby peas that I heated in the microwave and 1/4 cup of half-and-half. It was really pretty good, see?

For those of you doing WW points, one serving of the pie is 6 points and one serving of the Carbonara is 8 points. Well worth every one. Oh, and I was 199 even today, yeah!!! This week I begin exercising in earnest!!
6 comments:
Gorgeous pictures!
Thanks, Bridget!!!
Dude, Makena loved the peach pie. She kept asking for more. I'm going to have the rest for dessert tonite.
Fantastic pictures! Looks real tasty too.
Thanks, Julie!
Yummy!! I might have to go get some peaches and make this on Sunday. Thanks for the suggestion.
Post a Comment