For days I have been craving my favorite side dish. My old family meal stand-by - green bean casserole. The ingredients were purchased and all I was waiting for was the right moment to prepare my all-time favorite meal. Yes. You read that right, I said meal because I can absolutely eat it all by itself. At least, I used to be able to do it until last night. I knew something was wrong when I popped open the can of Durkee's Fried Onions, which in the past I have munched on while mixing the casserole's ingredients, because when I took a little taste, something was amiss. They didn't taste good to me. Immediately, worry set in. I thought perhaps I had a funky can of onions. Well, I forged on and got the casserole together and put it in the oven and anxiously waited for it to come together. It came out of the oven and sat on the stovestop, steamily resting, and I continued to wait for it eagerly. Earlier I had baked some drumsticks in the oven with BBQ sauce and knew this meal would be so good in it's old-schooly comfortable way. After the casserole had cooled down, I plated my dinner with one drumstick and a healthy spoonful of Green Bean Casserole....

It's never been a pretty thing on the plate...
I took a bite, the first one of this manna from heaven in a long time, and was instantly disappointed. It tasted nothing like I expected nor like I remembered. Gone was the delicious warmth that used to envelop me when eating this dish and it was replaced with a bland, slimy, blahness that defied explanation. Has it finally happened then? Have I reached a point in my quest for finding good eats that my old favorites are now history? I don't know, friends. I just don't know. What is known is this. I woke up to a different world this morning, people. Green Bean Casserole no longer equals goodness to me and what that means in the scheme of things is yet undetermined but for now I think it means I have moved on. I'm really ready to eat better things or perhaps to find a more delicious way to prepare the dish that doesn't include canned soup, onions, and beans. Does this portend other major food changes? I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
1 comment:
Hmmm...you could try Alton Brown's Good Eats version of Green Bean casserole and see if that changes anything?
I don't think you're becoming a food snob, but your body is liking healthier foods. That isn't snobbish.
Post a Comment