Evie's Fried Chicken
2 large boneless, skinless breasts
1/2 - 3/4 cup of flour
1- 1 1/2 Tbs Montreal Steak Seasoning
1-2 tsps poultry seasoning
salt (for sprinkling afterwards)
2 Tbs crisco or enough oil to rise 1/2" on side of skillet
First, I pounded the chicken breasts to try and make them as evenly sized as possible. Then I put the flour and spices in a pie dish and dredged each breast through the mixture while the crisco was heating up. Do not add the chicken until that oil is good and hot or else you won't get a nice crust on your chicken. I cooked these for 5-7 minutes per side until I felt sure that they were done then I set them on papertowels to drain and rest until ready to eat. reserve drippings in pan to make gravy (see below).
Sides, Southern Green Beans and Mashed Potatoes with Cream Gravy.
For the beans you will need a 1/2 cup of chopped onion (I used frozen) 1 tsp butter, salt, pepper, ham boullion, and 1/2 package of frozen cut green beans. Oh, and water.
Before cooking the chicken, I actually got the beans going because they need to cook for a long time to get that good southern flavor happening. I put the butter in a saucepan and let it melt over medium heat and then I added the onions. I cooked these until they were soft and translucent. Then, I added about 1 tsp, maybe 2 of the boullion and some water (1/2 cup?). I stirred this until the boullion was well combined. Then I added the green beans and enough water to cover. I let this cook over medium low heat for 30-40 minutes.
I prepared the potatoes as I always do by dicing them, placing them in a saucepan and covering them with just enough water. Add salt, and gently boil for 10 minutes. Drain and then put back in the pan and cover, allowing them to steam for 15 minutes. Then I take my potato masher and smush them really well, adding butter and milk to taste. Add salt at the end if necessary. If you make cream gravy, be sure to keep a light hand with the salt in the potatoes. The gravy will be seasoned and you don't want to overdo it.
Gravy
reserved drippings
flour
salt and pepper
milk (to thin out)
Over medium low heat, add flour to the drippings in small increments until all the grease is absorbed. Cook for a couple of minutes stirring constantly. Then add milk (eyeball until gravy is right consistency), stirring well and add salt and pepper to taste. Then you're ready to eat!

So, so good y'all. Small portions. remember that. My weight is still holding steady at 197. I haven't gotten back into walking since I was sick but that's about to change. Things should begin moving off me once I get moving.
Make some chicken this weekend!
1 comment:
Fried chicken is my all time favorite!!! Man that looks delicious!
Post a Comment