Saturday, October 13, 2007

Today's Eats

homemade buttermilk pancakes

I got up early this morning and made these beautiful pancakes. If you click on the picture, it will take you to my Flickr page which has a link to the recipe I used. These turned out really nicely and went really well with the bacon I cooked, too. :)

We had a busy day. After breakfast, we wandered out to a Fall Festival, which had been very poorly organized but we didn't let that get us down and we all had a great time. Be sure to go to my unschooling blog tomorrow and check out some pics from that adventure. We were at the festival smack during lunch time and, since I love a good hot dog, that was my lunch of choice along with a Mountain Dew.

lunch 10/13/07

It was plain, my usual is slaw and mustard, but the line was pretty long and we all just wanted to sit down and eat!

Tonight, we went out to dinner with my sister and her hubby to a Mexican restaurant that was okay. A little on the salty side but not greasy at least. I got combo number one, 1 taco, two cheese enchiladas and rice. I ate half the taco, one enchilada, 1/3 of the rice. Oh yeah, and a million chips with salsa. Why is it that you can eat a whole basket of those before you realize what you've done??

I got my "studio" partially set up with a table, a lamp, some foam core to try and direct light in the room, and some props to use. The pancakes are the first picture I took in there and I think it turned out pretty well. It's nice to have a dedicated spot to take the pictures because it was getting to be a big ordeal to drag out all my equipment to get the kinds of shots I wanted. See, in order to get my shots really, really sharp, I've started using a tripod. I've been using a higher aperture, a lower film speed, and both of those require a tripod when the light is not totally bright because the shutter speed will be slow and you'll get a very blurry image otherwise. Also, using the ISO 100 gives me a much clearer picture than I was getting at 400 ISO. I'm really learning a lot and am enjoying taking pictures of food. It's inspiring me to cook more and making me step outside of my comfort zone, too. This week I'm thinking about trying a couple of French foods that I love. We'll see!

Have a great night!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those pancakes are gorgeous! I think I'll cook some later today. And Mountain Dew, oh how I miss you. Those things are so not good for me and make me feel horrible, but god they are good!

EC said...

Thanks Carri! It's funny you mention how horrible soda makes you feel because it does that to me, too. It actually makes my kidneys hurt when I drink it, unless it's diet, but I know that's the high fructose corn syrup at play. I hardly ever drink soda anymore and am not sure why I chose that yesterday other than I saw some dude walking around with one. It made me want a mountain dew so bad! I regretted it later!