
Once the kids got up, we spent the morning hanging out, tidying up, keeping busy basically. When lunchtime rolled around I had planned to have an egg salad sandwich but decided on a salad instead. My favorite salad is one topped with chopped egg, bacon, and olives then drizzled with a bit of ranch dressing. Thankfully I had hard boiled eggs in the fridge. I don't know what it is but chopped egg is one of the yummiest things I think you can put on a salad.

This was really filling and really held me over until I had a snack later in the afternoon. Oh and what a snack it was!
One of my goals was to make homemade snacks and not buy any at the store. I bought a new cookbook while I was recovering from my surgery and was finally able to make something out of it! I chose chocolate chip cookies. They were so, so delicious! Thin, with crispy buttery edges and a chewy center. Oh man, they were good! The recipe made a ton of cookies, too.

For dinner, I made shrimp and grits, which you've seen me mention here before. This time though, I did something a little different. Instead of using a combination milk or cream with water to cook the grits, I used some homemade chicken broth that was in the freezer. I thought it would make the dish a little bit lighter. I used 4 cups of chicken broth and maybe a 1/2 cup of cream. That was the only thing I did different. It did change the taste but it was good, and the dish didn't feel as heavy as it usually does.

At the end of the day, I felt really good about how I did. The only thing I didn't accomplish yesterday was doing a workout video but that's ok. Baby steps. It's hard to make changes and if all I can do right now is change my eating habits then that's all I can do. trying to do too much can be overwhelming and self-defeating. Already, today feels like a good day. Like I'm in total control of myself and my emotions. It's a start!
4 comments:
I get hungry just looking at the food you make! yummy :) I have heard people mention shrimp and grits but I have no clue what it is! I need to go look it up.
My version is a little different than the usual that people fix. I have recipe on this site somewhere in the archive from last year. I'll try and find it for you!
Everything looks delicious! Every time you post about shrimp and grits I think, I'm gonna try that. And I never do get around to it. Maybe this time.
You know, years ago I found Flylady and read about how it takes 28 days to form a habit. Since then I have read the same thing in many other places. The idea is that if you focus on changing one habit at a time, in 28 days the new behavior becomes the habit you want. Then you move to the next one. I think it's a good way to keep from getting overwhelmed when you are trying to make lifestyle changes. Have you heard of this before? What do you think?
I have heard of Fly Lady and get her emails but I don't remember the 28 days thing. I believe it though. I don't think the brain can handle more than one change at a time. Thank you for mentioning that. I am going to keep that in mind as I work through all of this.
You should try the shrimp and grits. It's stupid good.
Post a Comment