
Well, after scanning the internet for a recipe, I got lucky and found a message on a board from someone who bakes at Panera and, while they couldn't divulge the actual recipe, they did give a general how-to which I followed today. It's not as pretty as theirs but it was just as tasty!

Forgive the photo, it was taken in my kitchen at night and I was in a hurry to eat the darn thing so I didn't take the usual care in taking a photo.
Here are the general directions I copied from the internet:
Although, the term "souffle" is a misnomer here. They are not made in
any "souffle" style/technique that I know of! The batter is
quiche-like (and I really wish they would all it quiche). Recipes are
strictly confidential, but I can say that the dough is a french
croissant dough richer than the typical American version; ours is
made with European butter--i.e. higher butter fat content). You could
just use your favorite quiche recipe for the batter (ours contains
Romano and asiago cheese, spinach, bacon, red pepper, Tabasco sauce,
artichoke hearts). The "souffles" are not actually baked in the paper
molds (but I wish we could bake them in the molds because the
dishwashers frequently run the pans through the dishwasher (they are
not supposed to do this) which strips them and makes the "souffles"
stick horribly), but we use specially designed "souffle" pans. If you
can find a pecan roll mold, that will work fine, or even a
Texas-sized muffin pan.
The dough is rolled to about 1/4 inch thick, cut into 3.5x 3.5 inch
squares (of course, this step is done for us in a factory, and the
squares come to us frozen) and then it is stretched by hand to 6x6
inches and then fitted into the mold. Each piece of dough is then
filled with about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of batter, and topped with a bit
more asiago cheese before being folded over.
They are baked at 360 degrees in our rotating oven for about 26
minutes with 20 seconds steam. You will need to bake at 400 degrees
for about 20 minutes or so in a home oven (mist the top generously
with water and then egg wash).
any "souffle" style/technique that I know of! The batter is
quiche-like (and I really wish they would all it quiche). Recipes are
strictly confidential, but I can say that the dough is a french
croissant dough richer than the typical American version; ours is
made with European butter--i.e. higher butter fat content). You could
just use your favorite quiche recipe for the batter (ours contains
Romano and asiago cheese, spinach, bacon, red pepper, Tabasco sauce,
artichoke hearts). The "souffles" are not actually baked in the paper
molds (but I wish we could bake them in the molds because the
dishwashers frequently run the pans through the dishwasher (they are
not supposed to do this) which strips them and makes the "souffles"
stick horribly), but we use specially designed "souffle" pans. If you
can find a pecan roll mold, that will work fine, or even a
Texas-sized muffin pan.
The dough is rolled to about 1/4 inch thick, cut into 3.5x 3.5 inch
squares (of course, this step is done for us in a factory, and the
squares come to us frozen) and then it is stretched by hand to 6x6
inches and then fitted into the mold. Each piece of dough is then
filled with about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of batter, and topped with a bit
more asiago cheese before being folded over.
They are baked at 360 degrees in our rotating oven for about 26
minutes with 20 seconds steam. You will need to bake at 400 degrees
for about 20 minutes or so in a home oven (mist the top generously
with water and then egg wash).
I used a croissant recipe out of one of my baking books, which was quite tedious. If you're not feeling particularly picky you could take a shortcut and try Crescent Roll dough in a can. I cannot guarantee the same results but it would be a lot faster than making croissant dough by hand. For the quiche-like batter, I took 7 eggs, 1/2 cup of cream and beat them by hand, adding 1lb of cooked, crumbled breakfast sausage, sauteed peppers 1/2 of a red and 1/2 of a green), 1/2 an onion, a handful of chopped mushrooms, and some parmesan cheese. Baked in the paper molds for about 20-30 minutes at 400 degrees and, damn, they were good!!! I hope someone out there will try this as well and let me know how you tweaked it.
3 comments:
Holy crap, that looks good! On my list it goes.
There were so many steps to making the dough - I started it yesterday - but the taste it delivered was well worth the wait. This is the recipe I was telling you about in my email.
This was baked in a 5 1/4" diameter baking paper that I got from Sur La Table and really it was too big. Half of that would have been plenty but I ate the whole thing. LOL
Please tell me if you make it!
Not that the container was too big but the portion was too big.
Post a Comment